Saturday, January 10, 2009

Alpha Smarts

Incorporating Alpha Smarts into my classroom is a goal that I have for the rest of the 2008-2009 school year. I have a difficult time getting my second grade class to write more than a paragraph on any given subject. They can construct a web with details just fine. However, when it comes to taking those ideas and writing a thoughtful response many get stuck or put something down on paper just to be done. I have used Alpha Smarts in my previous classrooms but I find that it takes up a substantial amount of time. So many students are working on different levels and this is time consuming. My school has bought into so many programs that writing has become more integrated into the other subjects. There isn’t the time available each day for drafting, revising, editing, and publishing. How can I make Alpha Smarts work in my classroom with a limited amount of time? Also, any tips for classroom management while using such a fun piece of technology with small children?

3 comments:

  1. The first thing that comes to mind is that I would check online (google it) to see if there are already lessons available for you to see and download that use this equipment in the manner you're thinking of. I am amazed at what you can find online that's close to what you want and is just waiting for you to snag it, edit it and then make it yours! You can probably find some pretty creative uses of the technology out there in this manner. Since I'm not trained on using Alpha Smart and really don't know anything about it, that's about the extent of my expertise. Hope it helps! Anita

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are talking about Alfa Smart, which is the tool I have not heard about before. Therefore I googled this expression and was surprised by what I was introduced. A small tool that is similar to laptop computer. Is it really possible that the students of today are so "spoilt" that they dislike writing on a piece of paper?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Is Alpha Smart primarily designed for a particular grade level? It seems as though it would be more beneficial for elementary use. I teach high school social studies and am curious at resources such as these.

    ReplyDelete